Beautifully restored mediaeval buildings, breathtaking views around every corner and a giddy network of winding streets with shops, bars and restaurants make for a perfect holiday spot. Taormina’s past is Sicily’s history in a microcosm: Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs, Normans, Swabia’s, the French and the Spanish all came, saw, conquered and left. A tour around between a wonderful Taormina, Siracusa and Mount Etna.
- Day 1 / Departure from USA
- Departure from Boston on the Alitalia with overnight flight destination Rome.
We enjoy dinner with complimentary wine or beer and after we relax with the inflight entertainment.
- Day 2 / Catania
- Arrival in Rome and connection to domestic flight to Catania Sicily.
Upon arrival in, retrieve our luggage and proceed through customs.
Immediately after, we are welcomed by the warm smile of our tour guide. We board our deluxe air conditioned motor coach and head to Taormina the most popular resort town of Sicily perched on the side of Monte Tauro with a breathtaking view of the Mediterranean and Mount Etna. We check in at the Hotel Continental and settle in our rooms. In the evening a welcome dinner with wine.
- Day 3 / Taormina
- After breakfast at the hotel, meet our local guide for a guided walking tour of Taormina. The history of Taormina was shaped by several civilizations, among them the Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Normans Arabs and Spanish, all ruled the town in different times. Between Porta Catania and Porta Messina lies Corso Umberto the lively center of town lined with shops, and cafes. We admire the Duomo, the Church of San Giuseppe and ultimately, reach the Greek Roman theater, originally built by the Greeks and enlarged by the Romans. Lunch at local restaurant. The afternoon is free to continue your exploration at our own pace. Dinner with wine.
- Day 4 / Siracusa
- After breakfast at the hotel we are off to Siracusa. We follow the eastern coastline passing Giarre Acireale and Catania. Syracuse was not the first Greek colony of Sicily but grew very rapidly in to the point that rivaled Athens. Our guide will lead us on a tour of the archeological park including the impressive theater carved into the rock, and the Ear of Dionysius, formerly a limestone quarry. Lunch at local restaurant. In the afternoon, we visit the medieval city center known as the Island of Ortigia with the Cathedral built on the Temple of Athena. Later in the afternoon we return to Taormina.
Dinner with wine.
- Day 5 / Savoca and Castelmola
- Today we visit Savoca a name that is not well known. Savoca is the town where part of the movie The Godfather was filmed. You will recognize the Bar Vitelli and the church where Michael Corleone and Apollonia were married. This village, selected in 2008, among the most beautiful villages in Italy, has ancient ruins of medieval, Renaissance and Baroque architecture The scenery is really impressive: houses separated by cliffs, broken by the rock, where the plant grows wild elderberry, hence the name. The ancient and picturesque old town is distinguished by the presence of narrow winding lanes and is divided into seven districts. Lunch at a local restaurant. In the afternoon we proceed to Castelmola for a guided visit of the village, perched almost precariously above Taormina. The lovely hamlet is considered one of the most beautiful villages in Italy. Warm friendly people and spectacular panoramas characterize the village. Castelmola offers a balcony over Taormina and the bay of Giardini Naxos and is framed by the mysterious and beautiful active volcano, Mount Etna. Its narrow winding streets and Old world charm make Castelmola a destination for anyone wishing to experience the enchanting beauty of Sicily from one of its most spectacular villages.
Return to hotel. Dinner at local restaurant.
- Day 6 / Mount Etna
- After breakfast, excursion to Mount Etna, the most active volcano of Europe.
Following the winding road we reach the panoramic terrace and enjoy the breathtaking view below. Transfer to the “Torrepalino Winery” visit of the cellars, wine tasting followed by lunch.
Return to hotel. Dinner at local restaurant.
- Day 7 / Enjoy Taormina
- A wonderful day free to enjoy Taormina at our own pace.
Breakfast and dinner with wine.
- Day 8 / Gole di Alcantare
- After breakfast we are off to Catania one of the most important cities of Sicily with a colorful open air market.
Tonight a farewell dinner, at restaurant “Paradiso” located at Gole di Alcantara, with wine and music to say good bye to Sicily.
- Day 9 / Departure to US
- Transfer to Catania Airport for our return flight back to the Boston via Rome.
Dates and Price details
|Available year around||Land Only, From $ 3,419.00 per person|
- 7 Night hotel accommodation
- 6 Buffet breakfasts
- Wine tasting
- Local guides
- Entrance fees
- Excursions to Syracuse, Ortigia, Savoca, Forza D’Agro’, Catania, Mount Etna
- Motor coach for transfers and excursions as per daily program
- City taxes
Map – Wonderful Taormina
Terms and Conditions
You can refer to our general Terms&Conditions